Monday, April 28, 2014

Research Paper Ideas

As I said in my previous blog, I plan on doing my research paper on diabetes. This was something that I briefly hit during my TED talk, so I would be able to go into more detail and expand on this. I would look at the causes of it, different types, the current treatments, and the research that is being done to find new cures and treatments. Diabetes is a disease that is very prevalent around the area that we live in, so I could talk about those effects as well. I plan on doing my paper from a narrative along with an informative voice. Since I will be doing my paper on a topic that can be complicated and not many people know about, I will be sure to go into detail and also explain the smaller things. Some of the people that I have thought about interviewing were either one of my parents, Jill Breyen, Kristen Klinefelter, and Paul Craft. Both of my parents work in the health care field, and both have a background with it. Jill and Kristen are both close family friends of ours, and they are both dietitians. Jill works in Red Lake which has an extremely high rate of diabetes. She works with it and sees it every single day. Paul is my God Father. He has been affected by diabetes for many years now. He would be a person that I feel comfortable with talking about it and he would also be able to give me a lot of information.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a really good idea since like you said, most of people know of diabetes and know the general idea of it, but most of us don't know the details of it. I think it would be cool if you interviewed a dietician because they would probably be able to give you a lot of interesting information that you could use in your paper! It would be cool if you interviewed the lady who works in Red Lake because you could explain that there is a high rate of diabetes in our area and this could help make your paper a narrative. It could also be considered a cause and effect paper since you want to go into detail about the causes of diabetes. You could also talk about the effects of being diagnosed with diabetes and show how having diabetes is very dangerous because it could lead to possible death. I really like your idea and I think you could come up with a lot of interesting things to write using that topic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the end, I feel like who you interview is going to dictate the ideas of your paper. If you want to look at this topic from a more "clinical" point of view and discuss trends in insurance options, treatment protocols, and methods of prevention, your parents are a great resource.

    If you want a more socially-oriented approach (how it affects a person's outlooks, behaviors, et al), that idea of interviewing your friends Jill or Kristen seems interesting just because of that dietician stance --- you could spend so much time contrasting a healthy diet required with the economics of food consumption in the country.

    If you want an essay which is really personal, which talks about how you as an individual is informed, Paul Craft sounds like a great idea. Your resulting essay would likely be largely his experiences and feelings, with supplemental material backing it up

    ReplyDelete